Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Your Instatouch Library is Cute

I love the JS community. In fact, I think it's the best community to be in programming wise. There is so much support when you need help, especially if you have no idea what you are talking about.

I just want to point out a few things that have taken steps backwards in the past few years when it comes to mobile web experience.

There are at least a dozen different libraries like this: https://github.com/ftlabs/fastclick where the goal is to make the web more responsive. As a mobile phone user, these packages make my experience WORSE. There, I said it.

The reason why it's worse, I've found, is because I like to scroll and read content on the page. If my finger happens to press a link while I am swiping on the page, it fires the click event! This is definitely not good if that link happens to do something very permanent. At best, I found myself pressing the back button so much I gave up completely frustrated with my experience.

My recent experience on cheezburger was rather frustrating because the links take up the whole screen! Maybe I'm just too slow, or JS wasn't designed to do this. I'm willing to accept either, but I'm definitely used to the way browsers work on my phone.

Your Instatouch library is cute, but it makes my user experience more difficult in some cases, and only marginally faster in others. Thanks but no thanks guys, I'll take the DOM as it is.

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment